October 18, 2011

Dancing, acting, speaking, writing

I dance. And I do it well. I do, or at least I used to. I can teach you how to dougie and I can drop it reeaallyy looow 'cause I got the moves like Jagger. I also act. And I also do it well. I do, or at least I used to. I was one of the weird 'tards who like to do a telenovela scene in front of the mirror. Idiotic, I know.



I was a total performer before, I'd even joined a dance and acting workshop when I was younger under the scholarship grant of Herbert Baustista who was still just the vice mayor of Q.C. by that time. I'd also joined a theater group called Obra and been a cast of an indie film written and directed by Toby Alejar entitled Tawid (a horror movie that I never ever had the chance to watch). I'd ventured into TV also by the way (no, I was not a superstar; not even a starlet. Pa-extra-extra lang... ;))

But like I said, that was before. I don't know if I can still perform well because I haven't done the stuff for years now. The last time that I'd been on the dance floor was almost two years ago. I danced with the wonder beat of the Wonder Girls' Nobody (it was a hit that time, okay?) But I only danced because it was required. It was part of our play (so I acted too, umm, sort of) which was our finals in Humanities. Technically, I was in a stalemate. I dance or I fail? I chose the former.

I was truly having fun with performing. What I don't like was the strength-absorbing and time-consuming practice. I was vigorous in the first week of practice, I was restless in the second week, and I was gone in the third week. The reasons for my actions (or inaction): First, I get tired easily. Second, I'm lazy.



I piss a whole bunch of people whenever I act like that, especially if I'll back it up with this excuse: Pag-practisin n'yo 'yung kailangan ng practice. Sure, it sounds vexatious. But it does make a lot of sense. Why do I have to repeat the same steps over and over if I've already mastered it? Besides, if I think I need rehearsal, I would just do it in the comforts of my home with my own choice of time and surrounding; that would save a lot of time and energy.



Also, it's absurd because I like performing in front of people, but I don't like people in general. So being as sullen and hostile as I am, those were maybe the underlying causes of the sudden halt of my theatrical life.



But as the old saying goes, "If God closes the door, he opens the windows." (Did I put that thing right?)


When I entered the wonderful world of university life, I learned a new skill. I learned to play with my tongue (not in the way you think). I discovered the wonders of communication and I realized how essential it is to have a tongue of privilege (to quote James Soriano). Since then, I learned to tune in to various radio shows (not the masa ones); to watch music channels like MYX, and also sports channels like ABS-CBN Sports. Though I pretty much enjoy the music and games, my primary reason for tuning in to those shows are the hosts. Isn't it funny to think that I'm not entirely familiar with the players but I'm a huge fan of the sportscasters?



And when I finally have a majorship (I'm majoring in English). I learned to write and I learned to use my head, finally (I'll not be able to survive the demands of our ever lovable department otherwise). I'm already a voracious reader since high school, but I didn't really use to write. But now that I'm in college, I often find myself holding a pen and paper or clacking a keyboard. First, because I have to. Second, because I like to. And now, I'm not just a voracious reader. I'm a certified struggling writer as well.



I fell in love with speaking and writing because of the cosmos that I'm exposed to. As an English major, I am required to listen, speak, read, write, and think well. Plus, as an English major, I am surrounded with other English majors who listen, speak, read, write, and think well. So what options do I have? Oh I love my majorship. Buncha pressure.

For the record, you'll never see me crying my eyes out in front of the mirror for no apparent reason. You'll now frequently see me lounging on the couch with a book propped against my knees while my mind's traveling in many places. That's a good mental exercise. Try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment